Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Review: Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate with Your Baby


Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate with Your Baby
Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate with Your Baby by Tracy Hogg

My rating: 1 of 5 stars



I purchased this book following the recommendations of other new moms on babycenter.com (great website, by the by). My husband and I sat down to read it together, but after an hour going through some of her material, decided it wasn't worth continuing (I think we read the second and third chapters). Leaving her annoying writing style aside (for the sweet love of god, I'm not your 'luv' and don't like being talked down to), no part of her book is based on scientific studies or fact. The one study she does cite doesn't remotely support what she wants it to. From the good research that's currently out there, as discussed at kellymom.com and other websites, some of her basic ideas cannot be supported - letting your baby cry it out sometimes (harmful, does not equal independence!), feeding your baby every 3-4 hours (newborns typically feed more often in the beginning and babies cluster feed during growth spurts), formula feeding is just as good as breastfeeding (studies consistently show that breast milk is better for the baby in the short and long term)... I could go on.

The helpful things she does have, like the feeding and activity chart, and the list of baby's cues can be found online for FREE.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment