Thursday, February 18, 2010

Review: The White Tiger


The White Tiger
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I'd anticipated reading The White Tiger for months and months and was really disappointed by it. None of the book was terribly interesting, and while the writing was okay, it wasn't great. I know it's supposed to be an analogy for how India is corrupt, and what it takes to move across castes and economic spheres, but the book felt flat, along with many of Adiga's one-dimensional characters.

I would suggest A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry as an alternative to The White Tiger. Mistry is a far superior writer, the story is more complex and interesting, and it encompasses many of the same themes, ie. corruption and poverty in India.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment