Thursday, March 29, 2012

Review: Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style


Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style
Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style by Tim Gunn

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I love Tim Gunn and picked this up at the library on a whim. I wasn't expecting much, but loved this cheerful guide that is devoted to making the best possible "you." While Tim Gunn does have some things to say on flattering cuts and so forth, the majority of the book is about finding your own voice in fashion and how to show it to the world. He also emphasizes style as more than clothing; style is about having confidence, good posture, being cultured, and knowing both who one is and what one wants to project to others.

Tim's best advice (you don't mind if I call you that, do you Tim Gunn?) is:
  1. Posture is an important part in how you present yourself! (I'm working on this, I promise... she types slouched in bed)
  2. Part of having good taste is keeping yourself informed and interesting
  3. Get a fantastic headband, preferably with a large flower or something glittery to use when you wash your face at night. I haven't purchased this yet, but I'm on the hunt!
  4. Find a style mentor, not someone you can copy exactly, but someone whom you admire whom you would like to emulate in style and attitude
  5. A list of essentials for your wardrobe. I'm bummed I didn't actually copy this list before I returned my copy to the library, but I clearly remember him recommending one pair of brown boots and one pair of black boots, which my husband will no doubt protest come fall.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment