Saturday, July 3, 2010

Menu for the Week (July 3 - July 9)

Gosh, I'm really hungry as I'm looking over our CSA share for tomorrow and starting to think about the menu for the week!

This week we will get:
  • Cabbage
  • Rainbow Chard
  • Scallion
  • Kale
  • Lettuce - Red or Green Romaine
  • Beets
  • Garlic Scapes
I must confess this is the second week we have neglected to use our garlic scapes; we keep telling ourselves we'll make a pesto.... but this has yet to happen. Ian? Rachel? Anyone in the McFluster household with any sort of kitchen-know-how and any time?

We also have no firm Fourth of July plans. We may grill out with friends, or go to Frog Holler (a bit of a drive) to go camping on the farm, participating in their potluck and party, and group yoga Monday morning. A little different from the Fourth of July camping trips I took as a child, if you could call the trailer with a microwave and AC camping.

RIGHT... the MENU!
  • Chard Bundles Stuffed with Lemon Rice and Sage Butter (one of our favorite recipes from A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen by Jack Bishop), served with Pressed Chicken Breasts with Lemon and Herbs
  • Beet and Cabbage Borscht - Local Flavors also has a recipe for borscht that has a few extra ingredients - leeks, porcini, red or white wine vinegar, and horseradish mixed in the sour cream to serve. We'll probably flirt with both recipes, see what we come up with. We're excited, neither of us have ever made or eaten borscht before!
  • Green Salad with Roasted Salmon, almonds, plums, seared peppers, basil, and Gruyere cheese
  • Curried Kidney Bean Burritos (from Cooking Light: Complete Cookbook)
  • Butternut Squash and Parmesan Bread Pudding (also from Cooking Light: Complete Cookbook), served with Sauteed Kale

The other news is that we may be moving earlier than originally anticipated. The house our current apartment is in was foreclosed on last winter. Ian and I received a notice in the mail from the new owners earlier this week offering quite a tidy sum to move out by July 16th, and to not pay our July rent to our previous rental agency. We were planning on moving on August 1st and had already paid our rent for July, so the first part of our week was spent trying to figure out what was going on with an attorney and attempting to decide what to do. Things are still a bit up in the air, depending on what type of settlement we can get to move out on August 1st, and waiting to see if our future landlords will let us move in two weeks earlier than anticipated...

In anticipation of all of these changes, Ian and I have committed to getting rid of HALF of our stuff. Well, mostly it's MY stuff. I really like stuff. I'm reaching a purging phase though. I went through all of my clothing and really did eliminate about half of it, getting rid of anything that I'm actually never going to fit into again (yes, I have finally given up on the idea of getting back to my ridiculously small 110 pounds when I was 17), anything that I don't wear very often, anything that has any sort of hole or hanging threads, or that I don't look good in or are ill-fitting. For years I've been clothes on clearance or sale because gosh, I love clothes, but in reality these are the sorts of things that get worn infrequently and don't always look quite right. I also made the commitment in April to not purchase any new clothing unless absolutely necessary (all my underwear goes up in flames, for example, tragedy of tragedies!), and have so far not had a problem or any strong temptations to get anything new. It's about time I get over my clothing obsession, as my family and previous roommates can attest.

We have yet to sort through our books, kitchen implements, miscellaneous doodads, etc., but all in good time.

After I get off work tomorrow we are going to take a field trip to Crate and Barrel, return some of our wedding gifts that are incomplete (only two place settings for example, sad days), and look at possibilities for a new kitchen table. I've never actually been in a C&B before, just lusted over their place settings, table clothes, and rugs online. Remember Rachel, remember: Elimination mode, elimination mode.... you do not need more stuff!

Over and out, definitely time to sleep.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment