Saturday, June 26, 2010

Menu for the Week (June 26 - July 2)

I planned the menu last night and Ian and I ran around town picking up our food and groceries at various places.

Menu
  • Moroccan Beef Stew, with couscous
  • Wilted Kale and Roasted-Potato Winter Salad
  • Taco Salad with black beans, queso fresco, scapes, green onion, and purslane (no recipe here, we just usually serve with tortilla chips, salsa, and a dollop of sour cream) 
  • Quick Veggie Stir-Fry (with broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, and sweet basil), served with jasmine sticky rice
  • Simple Baked Salmon, served with Roasted Beets and a Wild Rice Pilaf with Carrots and Pecans
  • Scape Pesto with Fettuccine
Lemon Coconut Chiffon Cake, served with strawberries.


I've had a case of the blues today and was very happy to have some time to myself in the kitchen when Ian went on his long run today (9 miles, dear lord). I watched Love and Other Disasters, the chickest of the chick-flicks I could find: Vogue, London, Brittany Murphy with fake lashes and cute 60's-esque outfits playing match-maker amongst her 'artist' friends. While watching this bit of froth, I whipped together the Lemon Coconut Chiffon Cake (courtesy of my all-time favorite cookbook, The New Best Recipe by Cooks Illustrated), made a nectarine lemonade, and washed up some dishes. Ian came back and hopped in the shower as the cake was coming out of the oven and my movie was finishing. As the cake had to cool for about two hours (upside-down, how glamorous!), I took my time making the lemon glaze.

We just had a piece each - delicious! The cake came out perfectly light and moist. I think next time I'll eliminate the glaze as it gets a bit sweet, but yumyumyum.

Now it's 8:00 in the evening and time to start thinking about making dinner. Stir-fry tonight, I believe. Tallyho!

1 comment:

  1. It is really neat that you make a menu every week. Something I have wanted to do for 28 years but never seem to get around to it or maybe we don't all eat at home often enough.

    ReplyDelete