Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Review: The Lover


The Lover
The Lover by A.B. Yehoshua

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I just finished The Lover by A. B. Yehoshua. A really fabulous read, I'm rather upset I spent so much time playing the Sims 3 in the past week (shut up, the new expansion was released on the first) instead of finishing this sooner.

As described, The Lover is indeed a dream-like novel. Narrative floats between the central six characters shortly following the resolution of Yom Kippur in Israel. The main premise of the book concerns a middle-aged mechanic looking for his wife's lover, whom disappeared during Yom Kippur, but the storyline certainly entails much more than the mechanic's midnight trolls around Israel as he searches. The story contains themes of power and submission, love and hate, desire and loss, dreams and reality. Between the intricate connection of the characters to each other is a more essential, basic question regarding the self and position and belonging.

This was really a wonderful, wonderful read, surprisingly accessible. Yehohua is a fabulous storyteller and I cannot wait to read another of his books.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment