Saturday, August 14, 2010

Review: Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen


Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen
Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



At first I felt a little fluffy choosing this as my audio book for my commute. Although I liked the movie (Julia's portion more than Julie's, it must be admitted), I didn't love the movie, but I'm a sucker for a nice story, a little relationship drama, and food (especially food).

I was pleasantly surprised by Powell's voice and like her much more than the Julie the movie portrayed. While she's quite the drama queen and did have bouts of negativity, I loved her dark sense of humor, and hey, I don't really mind the swears (sorry everyone) and loved her constant jabs at Republicans.

I think what I like BEST about this book is that it portrays Julie's transition from an individual that was coasting in life to a women who is strong and proactive. When we meet Julie, she is reactionary and lets life happen to her - she is a temp, is almost 30 and doesn't feel like she's accomplished anything significant and is unhappy with life. As the story progresses, the Julie and Julia project gradually helps her transition into a more positive force; instead of letting life happen to her, she is making decisions, appreciating her marriage/husband, and has met her goals and feeling great self-worth.

Overall, this is a great summer read - fast and lots of fun.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment