Sunday, March 31, 2013

Review: Sharp Objects


Sharp Objects
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Immediately after finishing Gone Girl, I added my name to the library hold list for both of Gillian Flynn's other novels, Sharp Objects and Dark Places. They both came in this Friday, and I sprinted through Sharp Objects in two days.

I'm an anti-spoiler kind of girl, so I'll keep my review brief. Camille is a 30-something journalist writing in a mid-tier paper in Chicago. Her editor sends her home to Wind Gap, the small city in Missouri she grew up in and has avoided for many years, to write on a developing story about two young girls, one who was found strangled with most of her teeth pulled out, and another who just went missing. Despite recently coming out of major personal conflict herself, Camille takes the story and finds herself back at her mother's home in Wind Gap.

I'll say this: Flynn has a way of writing despicable characters. Similarly to Gone Girl, it's hard to find a likeable primary or secondary character in Sharp Objects. That said, Flynn is such an engaging writer. I found it very difficult to put this book down, despite the troubled antagonist and her series of cringe-worthy past and her seeming inability to make good decisions. The darkness is addictive.

If you enjoyed Gone Girl, definitely give Sharp Objects a read. It's not quite the stunner that Gone Girl is (it's a little more on the pedestrian side of the thriller genre), but the book is an engaging and a great addition to the mystery/thriller genre.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment