Thursday, February 23, 2012

Review: Commencement


Commencement
Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



This was a fun read about four women who meet at Smith and become best friends. The book follows them through the college and the first five years afterwards. It was refreshing to read a chick-lit that was about friendship and identity instead of romantic entanglement (I think the last I read one of those was in high school?), but the book still felt a little flat. The first half seemed like more of a giant homage to Smith, which, while making me regret not going to a women's college, was a bit tiresome. I also found the discussion of feminism and sexuality a bit trite. I feel that anyone who wasn't interested in feminism would give up on this book before getting anything useful out of it, and anyone who has had any feminist/women's/gender studies will find Sullivan's characters' discussions one-dimensional and simple. Yet I like how this is chick-lit that discusses feminist topics, so perhaps I should be more kind.

Also, as a side note, I thought it was odd that the characters never discussed the possibility of Bree as being bi-sexual. Bi-sexuality: attraction to both women and men, not a new concept.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment