Saturday, August 11, 2012

Review: Unnatural Dykes to Watch Out For


Unnatural Dykes to Watch Out For
Unnatural Dykes to Watch Out For by Alison Bechdel

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This may seem like really strange reading to some of you. I usually don't read graphic novels or comics (though I really should!), and I'm not a lesbian. I heard about Alison Bechdel via Feminist Frequency, who discusses the Bechdel Test for movies. If you're not familiar, the Bechdel Test has the following three rules:

(1) Does the movie have more than two named, female characters?
(2) Do they talk to each other?
(3) Do they talk to each other about anything other than their relationships with men?

Pretty great, right? Anita Sarkeesian from Feminist Frequency proposed a fourth rule: Do they talk for more than a minute?

Anyways, the Bechdel Test is gold, and I was interested in reading a little Alison Bechdel for myself, and this is what the library had. Unnatural Dykes to Watch Out For was an interesting and fun read. The names of the politicians were a bit dated, but it was alarming how current so many of the political movements and questions were (especially considering this book is seventeen years old)! How astonishing and horrific that the very same questions and concerns are still prevalent for the queer community. Yeah, it's (currently) legal for same-sex couples to get married in six states (though these unions may not be recognized in other states), but what else has really changed?


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment