Monday, August 27, 2012

Review: Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday


Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday
Vegan Yum Yum: Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday by Lauren Ulm

My rating: 2 of 5 stars



I really wanted to like Vegan Yum Yum more, but everything has been so-so, or the recipe just doesn't work out like it was intended. For example, I tried to make the breakfast sandwiches this morning. The 'egg replacement' was awful, inedible really, and I don't know what I could've possibly done to make it work. The maple-soy tofu was okay, but not anything special (sausage seitan would be much better, if we're going for substitutes), and while the texture of the biscuits was good, the cooking times were five minutes off and they ended up being really salty.

I've been cooking and backing since I was a child and feel like I can follow instructions really well and have a good head on my shoulders for making something better when it's lackluster, but they few recipes I've tried out of this cookbook just aren't worth it.

My other gripes (besides poorly-written recipes) are that the recipes are poorly organized (it's so hard to find anything in here!), and it seems like almost all of the recipes are dependent upon soy products/tofu, or expensive spice combinations.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment