Friday, August 3, 2012

Review: Us: Americans Talk About Love


Us: Americans Talk About Love
Us: Americans Talk About Love by John Bowe

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

When I first picked up Us: Americans Talk About Love at the library in July, I was skeptical. Most books about love aren't great. I have to admit, the only reason it went home with me was the blurb by Ira Glass on the back (host of This American Life, my very favorite radio show).

Us: Americans Talk About Love is a book of interviews from almost every demographic in the United States. The interviews are edited thoughtfully, and many of them are thought provoking. Some stories about love were sad; hearing about how badly some people let others treat them, for example, is difficult to read. And I don't think I will ever forget the interview with the gentleman who saw his wife die when Katrina hit New Orleans.

There were stories about love starting and love ending, each person defining what love is through their own experiences and ideas. There is something very beautiful and profound about this way of exploring love and our desire, as human beings, to be loved.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment