Saturday, May 12, 2012

Review: Morningside Heights: A Novel


Morningside Heights: A Novel
Morningside Heights: A Novel by Cheryl Mendelson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I started reading Morningside Heights during my last week of pregnancy. I remember starting the book on the subway, and immediately turning to Ian and saying, "Here, read these first three pages! It's a little history of our neighborhood!" Cheryl Medelson's writing immediately hooked me, from her description of the neighborhood of Morningside Heights in New York City (the area around Columbia University which divides the Upper West Side and Harlem), to the introduction of her interesting, yet flawed characters, written with such feeling and depth.

This book came to the hospital with me for Felicity's birth and was what I picked up when I had a spare five minutes to read during that first month with the baby. Morningside Heights reads very much like a Jane Austen novel in that the focus of the book is on the characters and their interactions with each other, and the question of who will marry who is prominent in your mind as you read.

Mendelson is a lovely writer, and I'm looking forward to the third installment in this series (this is the first).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment