Saturday, May 5, 2012

Review: Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life


Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



Overall I find Anne Lamott to be a very disorganized writer and sometimes annoying in style, but there were some helpful nuggets and truths in this book, and this is not to be ignored. I appreciated in the last few chapters (in her 'Publication - And Other Reasons to Write' section) particularly helpful and thoughtful.

The best things I took away from this book:
1) Carrying around note cards for observations, thoughts, and details. How many moments do I have in the day that I want to write down, and then forget ten seconds later?
2) Really getting inside of a character to learn what it would say, how it would act, and what it would do. I love the idea of playing with several characters together, or putting them in the same situation to see how they would react differently.
3) Advice on publication and trying to sell a manuscript - have no expectations, write for the joy and necessity of writing.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment